Sunday, January 14, 2007

Reflect what you are, in case you don't know

I used to loathe mirrors. [...] felt differently, and overruled my objections to having several around the flat. If I didn’t like what I looked like, he said, I would simply have to wear a paper bag over my head.

The paper bag became quickly crumpled and torn and after a few weeks I caught a cold which made the whole thing completely impractical. So I just had to get used to them.

The wavy mirrors are my favourite. Nice and long, but impossible to examine one's overall appearance in on account of the fact they give you extra limbs, sometimes an extra head and they render your body twice as wide as you hope you really are. The novelty of this is yet to wear off.

Currently, however, these and the three others we have elsewhere are under threat. Not sure there'll be anywhere appropriate for them to hang in the new place. Thus they had to be documented in what is soon to become the most uninteresting collection of photographs since... actually some of these manhole covers are really quite pretty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That mirror looks quite nice and very useful. I am not one of these people who can spend a long time in front of the mirror, viewing themselves from all kind of different perspectives. It is more or less a glance that I take, just to check, if everything is OK. I do have a tendency of leaving my home in slippers, which in almost every combination looks a bit rediculous. I remember that several years ago I was in my car and thought something felt strange, when I put my feet on the brake, etc. A closer look revealed that I had actually left home in a pair of enormous slippers, resembling tiger's paws with claws and everything. I had to go home and do something about it.

Anonymous said...

Mirrors are inevitable, but they can be quite nifty. I really like the one in the photograph.

Anonymous said...

In hospital, the physiotherapist whom shall remain nameless (you know her by her acronyn NBDFH) constantly told me that I was standing crookedly. So one day, in an attempt at humour, I asked her for a wavy mirror so it would look like I was standing straight. I thought, considering the circumstances, that it was possibly the greatest joke in the world.

She snarled her upper lip and looked at me as if I was painfully deluded.

Anonymous said...

I like to look at myself in a mirror fully dressed. Now you know why I dont have mirrors in my bathroom.

You have a nice carpet there !