Tuesday, September 19, 2006

One finger, one thumb, keep moving

Something rather good is happening for me just now.

My pain levels have gradually reduced during the summer. The most significant thing to effect them seems to have been that period when I was sleeping most of the time. Although I felt pretty dreadful, it seemed to give my muscles a proper rest and they are now much more comfortable.

I made a decision that, having come off the Ibuprofen to save my insides, I would forego reducing my medication any further and use what ground I have gained to try and get a bit stronger. Thus, the sheer ecstasy which is exercise.

And it is ecstasy. Dopamine, phenylethylamine, testostrone, corticotropin… can’t remember any of the others. Something beginning with N no doubt, coursing through my veins. And this long-forgotten feeling in my muscles, this feeling of strength. Not strength as most other people would experience it, I'm only talking about the lightest of low impact yoga, but less weakness.

Any pain reducing effect is somewhat outweighed by the exertion-induced increase in pain, but these things, together with the increased blood-flow to my brain allow me to think more clearly. Wonderful stuff. It has a knock-on effect to everything else. Being just a little more active has lifted my fatalism about my weight, made me feel better about my body generally. The effective dispersal of adrenaline is making it easier to do the pacing thing, to rest properly. And of course, stronger muscles, better circulation and all these groovy endorphins can only have a positive effect on my overall health.

All this serves to make me very much more conscious of what a bastard it can be when this isn’t possible, when almost any physical activity does more harm than good. Which is a situation I have had my fair share of in life so far.

However, for those who can do it without significant limitations, do it. Not to lose weight, get sexy muscles or because the government says you ought to, but because it is a real sensual pleasure you have available to you and you might as well make the most of it while you can. Especially if you can do it outside and for free.

4 comments:

spotted elephant said...

I'm so glad to hear your pain level has come down and that you can be more active. More of both to you!

Tonefish76 said...

Hi I`m a goldfish new to blogging. Nice to see others like me.
This is my blog.
http://www.stevethefish.blogspot.com/

BloggingMone said...

Well, now that IS good news!! Glad to hear you are feeling better. Enjoy it!

Marcelle Proust said...

How wonderful--I'm glad to hear of this improvement.